Can't Edit With Cornerstone - Continuous Spinning Wheel

Hello,

We’ve been having continous issues with not being able to edit within Cornerstone. After checking through the forum and finding and trying out possible solutions, they would work but then the issue would just come back.

We’ve tried the following:

• Clearing out browser cache - including chrome, firefox, ie, and safari

• Cleared caching from firewalls and CDNs

• Have hosting provider to increase the memory limit and timeout.

• Changed permalink settings within Wordpress

• Checked for any plugin conflict

• Updated all of the plugins

• Checked to see if our hosting provider security system deletes the “cs-vendor.js” file - which they do not

Within our browser console we keep getting the errors with the following files - cs-vendor.js and cs.js. We know the file (cs-vendor.js) contains all of the javascript dependencies needed for Cornerstone’s Ember.js application.

This issue keeps happening on numerous occasions and would like to know what is the cause and if there’s a fix for it?

I’ve provided screen shots of the console error and things we get once we get passed the spinning wheel at times.

1 Like

Hi There,

Thanks for writing in! Upon testing, I could not experience any issues when editing pages in Cornerstone (see secure note).

Could you please try testing it on incognito mode on your browser and see if that works.

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for your response, we’re still getting the spinning wheel even after clearing the browser cache, hard refreshing, and clearing out CDN.

Hello There,

I have logged in and I was able to edit some of the pages. I experienced intermittent page loading while editing in Cornerstone. This could be cause by PHP memory limit or because of a 3rd party plugin conflict. Would you mind providing us your ftp login so that we can investigate further? We would like to test other things like your files, JS, wp-config and more. You may provide the ftp details in a secure note in your next reply.

Please let us know how it goes.

Adding ftp credentials, please keep in mind that this site is live. Thanks!

Hey @launchcatapult,

Please contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

I tried to do it but I got denied when I uploaded wp config back.

What happens on my end also is I get this message.

Clicking try again usually loads the builder. Sometimes you need to reload the page twice.

There’s currently a performance issue with Cornerstone where it gets stuck or takes time to load all the elements depending on the amount of elements in a page. Our development team is aware of the issue and might release a performance fix in the succeeding releases.

Thanks.

Hello,

We already had our host increase the allocated memory to the following you suggested above. We still have the issue.

Hi There,

I checked your site and the editor is working fine. I can able to edit all the pages without any issue.
I am editing in Mac Chrome, please check the secure note for the screenshot.

Can you please check in a separate network connection or a PC?
Hope this issue is resolved on your end.

Thanks

I think the larger issue here is that we have had issues like this – usually revolving around errors in the cs-vendor.js file – on multiple client sites with different setups outside of X/Cornerstone. Nearly every time it is an intermittent problem, as evidenced by the fact that you have had no issues, but we (and our clients) have.

Is there something in general that could be causing these issues across many different browser/OS/location setups?

1 Like

Hi There,

We had known conflict sometime back, some virus scanners running on the servers are blocking cs-vendor.js file. In that case, you will need to verify that with your hosting provider.

Also check the following post for more information (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/cs-vendor-js-makes-cornerstone-not-load-preview-cant-edit-pages/23849/2?u=mldarshana).

Thanks!

We have verified with the host that they are not blocking anything involving cs-vendor.js.

At this point, this same issue is cropping up on other sites that we have built. All of the sites (that I know of) are hosted with the same company, and all of the sites are running through Sucuri. We though that maybe Sucuri’s caching of .js files regardless of caching level selected might have been the source, since we cleared those out and one of the other sites briefly worked again. All of these are intermittent issues, but they are pervasive, and everyone we speak to says that it’s someone else’s fault.

Ultimately, what would cause the following errors:

(site one)
–Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token (cs-vendor.js:68017)
–Uncaught ReferenceError: define is not defined at cs.js:9 (cs.js:9)
(site two)
–Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token (cs-vendor.js?ver=3.0.4:106174)
–Uncaught ReferenceError: define is not defined at cs.js?ver=3.0.4:9 (cs.js?ver=3.0.4:9)

Site one is the one we’ve already given you admin access to – I’m about to add the credentials for site two in a secure note.

Hello There,

Although you have given the ftp details, we can only look at your files and cannot do anything because of permission issues. We recommend that you edit your wp-config.php file and find this line:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

You will need to insert this line as well;

define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

If still this does not work, we recommend that you re install the theme and Cornerstone. There might be some corrupted files somewhere. To manually update or re install it, please check the “Manual Updates” section in https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62

Please let us know how it goes.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.