Can't create translation with WPML

Hi,

I’m trying to debug this issue with Pro and WPML and I can’t figure it out.

When I click the translate button this error appears in Console and the page freezes. What’s weird is that it doesn’t happen on all pages.

I disabled all other plugins, and now I have only the latest versions of Pro and WPML activated and the issue is still there.
Can you please have a look?

Thank you

Hi,

It looks like you are using a WPML version that’s not supported by PRO theme yet. Currently we are compatible with WPML version 4.2.5 and we are still testing and updating our theme to play well with the new version of WPML. Here’s a list of all the supported plugin and versions https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. I suggest you try downgrading the WPML in your staging site and try again. Thanks!

Hi,

I made the downgrade but that didn’t fix the issue

Hello @carinaa,

There is a fatal error happening in the backend. This is because you only have 1.5MB max upload size. You will need to increase this to at least 32 or 64MB. Please check out this link to know how you can increase the value:

Hope this helps. Kindly let us know.

Hi,

I increased the max_upload_size to 125MB but it didn’t fix the issue.

Hi @carinaa,

Could you try it again? I’m able to reproduce it on the first try by accessing the URL that you provided. But that error goes away once I switch to another language (a popup appears for starting from blank or existing translation - NO language) and switch back again ( EN language ).

The issue will really appear if you’re trying to directly access a builder that has no existing translation. That’s why it’s important to go to the proper procedures when translating within the builder (start from blank or existing).

Please test that same page again :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi,

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I believe I’m doing exactly what you are saying, but I don’t get to ‘a popup appears for starting from blank or existing translation - NO language’. because the error reported appears before that.
I’ll write in a secure note all the pages I’m accessing and please tell me where am I doing something wrong.

Hello @carinaa,

A certain JS error appears in your page when viewing the frontend:

Uncaught TypeError: $(...).flatpickr is not a function```

This is coming from your `custom.js`  file that you have in your child theme. Can we disable this script temporarily? I have a hunch that this may be preventing the builder to load when you are editing with WPML translation.

Kindly let us know.

I don’t understand how could you been seeing that since the site/page with the issue doesn’t use the child theme, only the Pro theme and WPML.

The page is https://staging-haukeli.kinsta.cloud/haukelifjell/mat-og-drikke-2/ and there’s no error in the frontend: http://prntscr.com/q1pyu4

Hi Carinaa,

That’s the same page I edited where I created the translation, so yes, you wouldn’t see the popup since it’s already created. But checking again now, it has an internal error, it seems the previous change I made is discarded. Have you edited it outside the builder?

There is an internal error every time I’m trying to click the flag icon. Would you mind providing your FTP login credentials as well? I’ll continue checking, and are you on shared hosting?

Thanks!

Hi Rad,

No, I made no changes.
That’s the issue I’m reporting. Everytime I click the flag there’s an internal error.
The hosting is managed by Kinsta, not shared.

Hey @carinaa,

The usual cause of this issue is WPML creating a translated page before Pro or Cornerstone so the builder couldn’t generate its own way of translation. You can check those translated pages in the Translation Management page of WPML. I see your page in there.

I deleted the page generated by WPML (number 1 in the screenshot). The page is empty anyway.

========================================================================

Regretfully, that didn’t fix the issue so the next thing I did was reset your permalinks. I did that by going to Settings > Permalinks and clicking the Save Changes button.

Now when I click the British flag, I got a different error in the console. It now returns 403 Forbidden for the WPML URL (see secure note) rather than a generic 500 Internal Server error. It got specific.

###Before:

###After

The issue now is either your web host or something in your setup is blocking the WPML URL. Please check with your web host why the URL is being blocked. It could be some kind of security feature blocking it.

Thanks.

It seems that there was still some residual translation content somewhere in WPML.

I managed to fix by purposefuly create a translation with WPML directly and then delete it completely. Translation in Pro worked afterwards.

Glad it’s working now and thanks for sharing! Yes, it’s fully translatable but it always depends on the one that translates it (eg. 3rd party plugin and host environment).

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.