Cannot switch to secondary language in cornerstone

Hi,

I use WPML. I normally use the Language Switcher in Cornerstone to switch between English (primary) and Thai. However, after updating X Theme today, or after changing permalinks to /%postname%/ per another bug topic, I am no longer able to switch to my secondary language. *Image provided with red highlight and arrow showing icons where I click to switch between language translations.

Today, I get an error “The preview could not load…” (Screenshot provided).

Tried different browsers - no luck.
Any ideas what the problem might be?

Hello There,

Please follow up the steps below:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Go to X > Settings and click on the Clear Style Cache button.
  3. If you’re using a CDN(ex: CloudFlare), please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services. For the CloudFlare you also need to follow the steps below besides the developer mode: https://xthemetips.com/using-cloudflare-rocket-loader-with-x-pro-and-x5/928/1
  4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  5. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  6. Switch to the parent theme to check if the issue persists.
  7. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  8. Make sure that you’re running at least PHP v5.6.x or later to avoid any WordPress related incompatibility issues. If you’re not sure what your server configurations and settings are, install a plugin like WP-Serverinfo (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-serverinfo/) and check your server info by head over to Dashboard -> WP Serverinfo area.
  9. Check your PHP Max Execution Time and set it for 120 for optimal usage (https://thimpress.com/knowledge-base/how-to-increase-maximum-execution-time-for-wordpress-site/).
  10. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

Tried everything in your list except for the CDN (don’t have). No luck.

I have noticed that I can open a page in cornerstone and use the nav menu language switcher successfully. But the flag icons in cornerstone fail to switch either language without the same issue. I also had trouble when going to a page and using the WP top bar X dropdown menu: X >Cornerstone > Select Page to edit >> this also fails to load with same error.

Hi There @anthonyallen

I see that your WordPress address and Site address URLs are different under Settings -> General area.

This will also create builder loading issues. Please update both of your URLs to your site URL.

Then head over to Settings -> Permalinks section, select the option postname, save the changes to re-generate your .htaccess file and then re-test your issue again.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

The site was setup like this roughly 2 years ago. It was intentional and is not uncommon with Wordpress setups. Also, it never created any issue with the translation function. Something recent has caused the problem. But since I don’t do translations on a daily basis, I don’t know exactly at what point the problem started - I can only say it must have been recent. The last time I did a translation was maybe 2 months ago - I didn’t have any issues at that time.

Hello @anthonyallen,

Since we have release Cornerstone 2.1.5, we use the home_url settings. You can check it out here: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-builder-preview-warnings/14404

I would recommend that you put your site in under construction mode, change your site url settings, edit your pages that needs translation, save your changes and then clear your caches. Once your done, you can add back your previous site url settings and disable the under construction mode to make your site live again.

Hope this helps.

I understand. Will make the change. Thx.

Let us know how it goes!

Updated Description

Migrated my wordpress site over to the main domain (site url). Cleared X cache out again. Tried 2 browsers in total (Chrome/Opera). Problem still exists.
Primary Language = English
Sec. Language = Thai

1. Can use nav menu switcher to go between 2 languages no problem (UPDATE::: !This takes you out of page edit mode = you can’t translate)
  2. Can use nav menu switcher to go to the secondary language, then I can use the Cornerstone flag button in the bottom right corner of the preview pane to switch BACK to the primary language. But using the cornerstone flag again, for the secondary language, fails.

Essentially, it appears the button in the preview pane for switching to secondary language is the only button that fails to switch to, or preview the secondary language page.

Currently editing through the pages menu and selecting the “translate page” button.

Let me know if I should take this up with WPML also.

Thx!

Hi There,

I’ve turned off your built in cache system under General Settings and also disabled all the WPML extensions:

Then I was able to switch between both languages without any issues.

Could you please double check again?

Cheers!

At first, clicking secondary went to a ‘content’ index of pages screen (c-img) a couple of times. But on the 3rd try, everything started working normally.

Hi,

I tried editing a few of your pages and was able to switch to a different language on first try.

Try to clear your browser cache and check again.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.