Cannot save changes to a page on website

Hello. Today I am not able to save changes to the Portfolio page for our website (https://www.thumbprintbooks.ca/portfolio/). Whenever I try to save a change, I receive the message, “Uh oh! Content failed to save.”

Also for some time now, whenever I try to load this page in X Pro, I get the message “The preview was unresponsive after loading. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing.” I have asked our web host to turn off page cacheing. All browser cache has been cleared. The plugins I have installed are ones provided as part of X Pro (Custom 404, Google Analytics, UberMenu 3) plus Yoast SEO. I have to click on Try Again at least once (and sometimes twice) before the page will load in X Pro.

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

There is an internal server and your site is a bit slow, even the loading takes time. Please check for the following first:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

2. Clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins.

3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

5. Remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates.

6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

7. Contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

The please provide your FTP login credentials so we could investigate it directly.

Thanks.

Hello. We have decided to switch to a different web host provider. We are in the process of migrating to that new host company. Once the migration is complete, we’ll see if the problem remains and let you know the result.

By the way, the link you provided about version compatibility doesn’t have the latest version of X Pro.

Hello there,

Glad to hear that! Please keep us posted.

Kindly login into your dashboard to see the latest Pro version: https://theme.co/apex/dashboard

Thank you for pointing that out. Our team will be updating that page.

Just for your information, we currently don’t have X Pro but only there is X and Pro. They are 2 separate products.

For our product release updates, please read:

Thank you.

We moved to a new web host provider. Theme and all plugins are up to date (the only plugin not provided with the theme is Yoast SEO), problem remained. No caching plugins or optimization plugins (other than Yoast SEO which we deactivated, tested, and the problem remained). CDN had not been activated with the new web host provider, but problem remained. Deactivated all plugins, but problem remained. At that point I decided to clone the Portfolio page using “Duplicate Post Plugin” — Pro did not have problems saving changes to the cloned page. So the problem seemed to be related to internal processes in Pro.

The problem with not being able to save changes is resolved. However, the problem of Pro having difficulty previewing most pages, but then working when I click Try Again, persisted.

Your ask to “remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates” is a HUGE and TIME CONSUMING ask, because most of the pages refer to custom CSS or have CSS inline. I do not want to remove all of that (and then have to replace it again) without being 100% ASSURED that this will resolve the problem.

Have renamed the .htaccess file, clicked on Save Permalinks, so default .htaccess file was created. Problem with preview persists. Have reactivated the .htaccess file before it was renamed.

Will ask the web provider to increase allocated memory as you requested. And will report back.

Hi There,

It could be that you’re running out of your allocated memory. You can install a plugin like WP-Serverinfo (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-serverinfo/) and check your server info by head over to Dashboard -> WP Serverinfo area.

You can try increasing your PHP Memory limit. You can do this by editing your wp-config.php file which can be located under the root of your WordPress installation.

Add the following lines into that file.

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

I added the lines to wp-config.php in the public-html folder. That might have helped for some of the other pages, but didn’t help for the Portfolio page — still got the “Preview unresponsive after loading” notice. But at least if I click on Try Again, the preview loads and I can edit the page.

I installed the WP-Serverinfo plugin. It notes that the PHP memory limit is 512MiB.

Hey @Adams,

Does your new host has built-in caching? Please give us FTP access also.

Thanks.

The new host told me that I could turn on caching in cPanel (which I have not done) and that I could install a caching plugin (which I had not done). So I conclude that built-in caching is not active. But I haven’t verified that for certain. Do you want me to do that?

I checked further with our new web host. They confirmed that they do not use any “built-in” caching software. We are using Cloudfare for CDN, which caches static files/images on our site. The problem of preview unresponsive after loading in Pro was happening before we turned on Cloudfare.

Hi there,

I checked and the site is quite slow even by visiting the portfolio (not with the builder). And has very long content with large images, even your host can’t handle it.

With big ajax payload, it will not really save when it reached the post max limit. And since it has large content, the preview may not display immediately which will trigger the preview error message.

Navigating in admin is slow too, maybe this is just now so I’ll check it again later. I can’t really check it as it taking time to load even the home page.

Thanks!

Well, I don’t know why the site is loading slowly for you. I’ve tested it often with website speed sites and the home page loads within 2 to 5 seconds, and every time I visit the Portfolio web page it loads within a few seconds (and when I test it on website speed tests it loads within 3 to 10 seconds in North America). Pro didn’t have the problem with previewing the pages of our website until recently. Up until then it handled all of the pages fine. I don’t know what changed, but if you’re unable to figure out a reason then I’ll keep clicking on “Try Again” whenever it occurs. Usually the “Try Again” allows the preview to load and I can make changes.

I know the Portfolio page has a lot of images—that is intentional.

Hi there,

Yes, it loads but sometimes it’s not and a bit slow. I’m just saying, the longer the content with many images, it will become slower especially if the host environment can’t handle that big payload. Would you mind providing your FTP login credentials as well? Maybe we I could check it from there.

Thanks!

Hi. I provided the FTP credentials earlier in this string. But here they are again:

Hi there,

I see. I thought that’s for your old host since the changes made on that one doesn’t reflect on the live site. I just tried it again and I’m not sure if I’m working on correct files, I assume it’s on your public_html based on the discussion. But no luck, even by intentionally triggering an error won’t take effect.

And I think it’s performance related due to longer content as it works okay on the page with fewer contents. Please note a longer content needs more processing power and not just memory limit. But I’ll continue checking, as of now, there are no error logs, it’s just too slow to load the builder due to long content, and when it’s slow, the popup message will always appear to let you try it again.

Thanks!

Those credentials are for the new host.

I understand the “stresses” put on Pro by the amount of content on the Portfolio page. If I’m running up against a fixed limit, then I’ll work within those constraints. Just wanted to make sure that this problem couldn’t be resolved another way.

Hi there,

Thank you for the information. The problem is indeed because of the number of sections you have on the Portfolio page. I did a test and found out the problem goes away about 17 or 18 sections. So if you have more you see the issue.

This is the problem of the allocation of enough memory and connection limitations of the hosting service provider. If you have the problem only for that page, then keep clicking try again or use the Skeleton ode to do the changes:

If you want to have that page show correctly we suggest that you consider moving to our hosting service which will not have the problem you are experiencing:

Thank you.

Thanks for letting me know about the limitations.

You are welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.