Can I rescue my old x-theme install?

I have an old 2015 x-theme install and it shows version 2.6.0 and it is a site that I haven’t really touched and now want to bring back to life. I have copied the live site onto a staging area and now I want to bring it up to date.

Question is, where do I start as my latest Wordpress install is telling me that my theme is “up to date” and that can’t be right !

Is it right I can upgrade to Pro if I can bring X up to date first ? My account states that I can get a free upgrade of the license.

What I need to know are …

1. What steps do I need to take to bring X up to date first
  2. If I can achieve that and then go for the upgrade of my license, will that risk damaging my live site ? I want to rebuild it all on my staging site but surely changing the license will impact on my live site that is using that license.

Hope this makes sense - appreciate any help on offer !

Hi There,

Please take a look at this article:

Your live site will be safe. You don’t have to revoke the license of your live site. Just need to add the staging URL to your license:

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Okay … I think I’ve lost a few years of my life today trying to progress this one !

I have found my license page and I have both my live site and staging site detailed next to my license/purchase record … now what ?

Neither my live nor staging site is suggesting I update the theme and still says the theme is up to date which it isn’t.

I clicked on the validate option on my Dashboard and it asks for an API key but try as I might - and boy have I tried - I can find nothing but my original 2015 purchase code and that doesn’t do anything - presumably because that isn’t the API key.

I’ve read everything I can find but I remain totally stuck and would appreciate your help again !

Hello @Paul33,

Thanks for updating the thread.

Let’s simplify the process. Automatic update might not work as you are using quite an old version of X Theme. First, as you have copied the website to the staging server I suggest you to update X Theme and Cornerstone manually by using FTP software like Filezilla. My colleague @thai has shared the update guide, in that please scroll down the the manual update section to see the instructions on updating X Theme and Cornerstone manually.

Here’s a tutorial on how you can get started with Filezilla.

https://www.tipsandtricks-hq.com/how-to-use-filezilla-with-wordpress-8956

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Many thanks for that and I’ve now successfully updated X to the latest version on my staging site.

Now I wanted to try the free upgrade to PRO but I’m still jumpy about the warning that it can’t be reversed back to X. That’s fine on the staging site but I’m concerned that it will impact on my live site.

Both my live and staging sites are listed next to my license but what do I do to only impact on staging and not live because surely there is only one license for both ?

Hi @Paul33,

The license upgrade will not affect the copy of your site, it will remain as is. You can still manually install them without a need for validation since it’s more on updates and extensions installation.

As long as you’re not replacing your live site’s theme then it should be okay.

Thanks!

1 Like

Okay - all completed and working fine so thanks for your help and reassurance !

Paul

You’re most welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.