Buttons Keep Opening Link

Hi there,

I am using the buttons on quite a few posts (not classic buttons, the new ones) and every time I click one to edit it in the post editor it opens the link in a new tab.

How can I stop this behaviour? It never used to happen before and it is a little annoying, not to mention inflating clicks on affiliate links etc.

Pro theme by the way.

Thanks for any help guys. :slight_smile:

Hello @Naishster,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

I checked your website and can see that on button elements the target link is set to _blank which means that upon clicking on the button, link will open in a new tab. To fix that open the button element and make sure that New tab option is unchecked. Here is a screencast that you can take a look.

Thanks.

yes, I have tried that but it still opens.

Just to be clear, I am talking about the link opening from within the editor, not from the live post. When I click the button to actually edit something like the look or the link etc it opens the link up FROM the pro editor page.

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the confusion, I do understand the issue that you dont want the button to open the link when you’re editing it on the Content Builder.

But I can not replicate this issue on my end. Can you confirm that your PRO is up to date (version 2.2.5)? If not, you can review our update guide.

Or maybe your link contains some unusual characters? Can you try making that a shortlink? (https://goo.gl/)

Thanks,

Yep, all up to date.

OK, so I have an existing post with a button, but perhaps I don’t like the color. i go into editor and click the button so that I can change colour, but as well as opening the options for that particular button, the link I have previously put in the button is also opened. just like it would be had I clicked it on the live site. (I think you got that sorry, but just make it crystal clear. lol)

Can’t make it a shortlink as it is an affiliate link and that is against ToS.

Hello There,

Since you cannot click the button in the Cornerstone preview, you can always use the skeleton mode when editing for faster response and easy access of all the elements in the preview area. This is also helpful especially if one of the sections or elements is not visible or hidden in selected screen size or you may have applied visibility options to a section of element.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.