Bug headlines converted to divs

Hi,
I think I detected a bug. All the h1, h2, etc that I created with the header build in Pro are now, after updating to Pro 1.2.4, converted to div. All of them have been converted to divs. This is terrible.

Even if try to save again it won’t save it as a h1. So I save it as a h1 into the header builder and it continues to be a div. See screenshot.

I’ve seen this behavior in more than just one site, after I updated.

Howdy, @WP-rockstar!

Thanks for writing in and we’re sorry to hear that you seem to be having an issue here. As you haven’t provided a URL for us to check this out live I can’t definitively say my answer below will suffice, but if your output is still incorrect after my following explanation, please feel free to provide us with a URL to your website along with login credentials to your WordPress admin in a Secure Note so we can check this out live.

The Headline Element was updated in this release based on some feedback provided by users in our beta forum. Their concern centered around the fact that when you selected the “base tag” for the Headline Element, it wrapped all of the text inside the Headline Element in that tag. This is fine with a single line of text, but with our addition of the subheadline feature in the Element, these users did not want to necessarily have all of that text tied to that same tag. For example, they may want to use the primary headline and the subheadline as a h1 / h2 grouping, or perhaps they would like to use a combination of h2 / p for these elements. Effectively, they wanted more flexibility out of what to semantically refer to each of these pieces of text as.

In light of this feedback, in this release we have moved the wrapping tags further in the Headline Element to directly wrap the text it is referencing. Just to ensure this is working as expected, I checked this out locally just now and all markup is outputting properly. In my test, I set the “primary” headline tag as h2 and the subheadline tag as h4, which yielded the following markup:

Notice how the h2 no longer wraps all the text, as this would be invalid to wrap a heading in another heading. So while the outer wrapper is now a generic div, the text itself maintains its semantic meaning and gives greater flexibility to how the Element can be used overall now that the subheadline tag can be set independently.

Hopefully you’ll find that this is true for your site as well and that perhaps you were simply looking at an element higher up the chain. If you find that you’re still running into an issue here, please provide us with your credentials as mentioned above so that we can check this out live.

Cheers!

Hi, that’s not how my site is working. I’ll give you access to my site.

See screenshot. The headline pointed with an arrow should be an h1, but it is a div. As said before, this has changed in more than 1 site after updating to Pro 1.2.4.

Thanks.

Howdy @WP-rockstar,

Thanks for writing in and sharing your login information for us to check everything out. Just as a reminder, please make sure to use the Secure Note feature when sharing sensitive information as mentioned in my initial response, as that is the only way to keep your login information private. I moved your site credentials into a Secure Note for you on this post, but please make sure to keep this in mind going forward for your site’s security.

Regarding this situation, after taking some time to look into this we uncovered a potential regression having to do with users utilizing very old Headline Elements. Essentially, the Text and Headline element have undergone a couple changes since the launch of Pro, but were initially kept as one element. As we moved forward, we realized that splitting the output of these elements more and making them more unique ultimately allowed us to introduce more unique functionality into each. The Text Element now works as a strong base for long-form content, with unique features such as text columns, whereas the Headline Element introduced more functionality for having specificity over the wrapping tags, subheadlines, a graphic, and more.

While these new changes took place for newly placed elements, certain elements utilized before these updates were holding onto both “identities” if you will. While you’re using a “Headline” element, it was referencing itself as merely “Text,” which is why none of your tags in this scenario were showing up as intended.

We have a fix in place for this that will be available in our next release (timeline for release not available at this moment). Upon updating, you will need to do the following:

1. Go into any headers where you are experiencing this issue with the markup not outputting properly. You may notice that the styling of your headlines appears incorrect. This is fine, and is only visible in the preview for the time being, your visitors will not see this on the frontend of your site.
  2. Save that header to flush all proper attributes for all elements where necessary.
  3. Refresh the builder, and in the preview you should see your old styling return, and if you inspect the element either in the preview or on the frontend of your website, you should find that the proper markup has returned.

If you do not wish to wait for the update and follow the steps as mentioned above, you are also free to go and replace any Headline Elements where this is problematic with new ones, which will work as expected as they are fully on the new system and not caught in this “limbo” like your older Headlines are.

Thank you for writing in and helping to point out this issue as it was a more subtle thing to notice since it only applies to Headlines created before a certain point and didn’t visually affect anything. Hopefully this all helps to give you some guidance on how to proceed forward.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.