Blog page showing incorrect post snippets

Hi There,

Could you please double check on the excerpt text?

IIf it doesn’t help, please provide us with your admin account so we can take a closer look?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I do not want to manually have to insert Excerpts for every post.

Can you please figure a way for me to reset the excerpts or something?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

You don’t need to insert excerpts. My colleague just want you to check the excerpt field because if there is a text in it, it will replace the auto generated excerpt.

You could also try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Let us know how it goes!

Hi there,

The excerpts are blank.

If I give you the login details can you take a look please? How do I submit securely?

Thanks
Ryan

Hi,

You can add your login details in Secure Note(key icon)

Done, if you could log in and see whats causing the issue and fix it I’ll really appreciate the help!

Hi again,

Thank you for providing the credentials. I checked your setup and found couple of issues. You’re using an outdated version of X and Cornerstone. The content is being served by the cache and probably this could be causing the issue. Please follow these steps:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

2. Clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins.

3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

5. Remove custom CSS, JavaScript.

Let us know how this goes!.

Ok, so when deactivating all plugins, cornerstone also deactivated so nothing worked.

So I just reactivated cornerstone ONLY and this is what the blog page looks like.

So there seems to be a deep rooted issue. Very little custom CSS, for sure nothing thats done this. And no custom Javascript.

How do we fix this?

Hello There,

Did you use Duplicate Post plugin when creating a new post? I am assuming you did and as I have checked your posts, I can see that there are indeed some duplicate posts.

Only one is set to private so these duplicate posts will display duplicate items in your blog thus displaying the same excerpts.

Hope this helps.

Ok thanks. So how do I go about fixing it?

And what should I do in the future to avoid this?

Thanks
R

Hey There,

Please do no use duplicate post plugin. If you need to duplicate a post/page created in Cornerstone, please use the Cornerstone template functions. Please check out “Working with Templates” section from this knowledge base article:

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for your help.

I have just confirmed we are NOT using the “duplicate post” method. So that isn’t the problem.

How else can we overcome this?

I really appreciate your help and look forward to a resolution ASAP.

THANKS
RYAN

Hi there,

Please remove the duplicates, then observe if duplication will happen again. If it does, you may need to disable the plugins and customization and test it again. I do see Duplicate Post plugin and it’s active, so you may also accidentally duplicated those items.

As for the post excerpt, it looks like a cache issue to me, it’s displayed the same as your screenshot when I first loaded it, then after logging in, it displays different text than the screenshot. Please disable the cache plugin and test it again, it displays it correctly, at least now on my end.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I have just deactivated both cache plugins and the duplicate post plugin and the issue is exactly the same.

We have for sure not used the duplicate post plugin.

Where do we go from here?

Hello There,

I’ve taken further investigation and it turns out that the excerpt were picked up the first content of the accordion item or from the very first excerpt. In most of the post, they have the same contents and this is why you have duplicate excerpts.

The only way we can prevent this from happening is to insert a manual excerpts. I went ahead and edited the first 3 posts. I inserted a custom excerpts and now the manual excerpt is the one displayed.

Please edit each post and change the snippet.

Hope this helps.

Hi There,

Thanks for your comments there.

However, upon looking into this, what you’ve said isnt correct.

If you look at the blog titled “6 Ways 21st Century Phone Systems Help Solicitors Succeed” you see the following excerpt:

So you’re looking for a new phone system for your **golf club?**Maybe because you’re facing one of these problems with your current phone system:You feel that frequently engaged tones may be leading to frustrated members and a loss of revenue.You’d like a phone system that links to your membership management software, such as ESP, so you can greet members by …

There is no accordian on that blog post. And if you search the page for the incorrect keyword “Golf Club” it doesnt appear anywhere in the blog post.

X Theme is confusing these blog posts some how, and it really needs to be sorted ASAP as our customers are becoming confused.

When we bought X theme, we didnt think we’d have to manually apply excerpts. It’s total hassle.

Hello There,

May we have a permission to copy your site so that we can test it with our local testing server? We wanted to check out and get to the bottom of this issue because we have tried several attempts and this issue cannot be replicated in our local testing server. It might be caused by a cache or a plugin. It is better to find it out on a test server cause the site is live.

Or maybe, if possible, you can create a staging site and clone this site over so that we can both test the excerpts and disable all the plugin. This is very useful because we can test drive excerpts or even remove the removes in the staging area, do the customizations and troubleshooting without disrupting your live site. Once everything is perfect, you can easily and flawlessly proceed the update in the live site. To know how to create a staging area, please check out these articles:

Please let us know what you think.

Hi there,

Yes, please feel free to copy it and do whatever testing you need.

Please let me know as soon as you have a fix.

Regards,

Hi there,

Something is wrong with your setup, there is an automated duplication which shouldn’t be happening.

Plus, looks like the one causing this issue (wrong excerpt) is one of your plugins. When the plugins are inactive, it’s displaying the correct excerpt. And it does show blank excerpt for 6 Ways 21st Century Phone Systems Help Solicitors Succeed" since it doesn’t have manually added excerpt. Which is correct too, activating all the plugins is again displays the incorrect excerpts.

You could try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.