Blog Author Bio - changing social icons/links

I am using the author shortcode to place a bio at the end of my blog posts. I see that the bio copy is being pulled from the Wordpress profile. However, it’s unclear where it is pulling social links from? They are different than what is currently saved in the Wordpress user profile. For example it shows a Google Plus icon/link but there is no option for Google Plus in the user profile. Where can these be changed?

Hello @knamaky,

Thanks for writing in!

Please check the child theme function.php file to see if you have any code for social media profiles. It should look similar to following thread:

Thanks.

In the child theme folder, the functions.php does not have any such code:

Hello @knamaky,

Did you add the author shortcode in each of the posts manually? If that is the case, please go to Users > Your Profile and find the Facebook, Twitter and GooglePlus field in the page. If you are not seeing it then the code must have been added in the child theme or somewhere. Would you mind providing us access to your site so that we can check your settings and find it for you? Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Regards.

I currently add the shortcode manually to each post. It would be ideal not to have to do that.

Regardless, when I am in the “Your Profile” there is no option to update Google Plus at all. I wonder if Wordpress eliminated this option because Google Plus has been discontinued by Google. However, it still appears in X and there is not a way to delete it?

I need to delete Google Plus, and then add LinkedIn.

LinkedIn is the most commonly used business social network.

See secure note for login details.

Hey @knamaky,

You are correct. The social fields were removed by WordPress since they were more of a Plugin functionality.

If you have used the fields previously though, they are still available in the database and can still be accessed by the get_the_author_meta function which the Author Shortcode uses that’s why you still see the icons.

Regretfully, there’s no way to bring back the fields and to remove and add social links in the Author shortcode. With that said, I’d recommend that you use a third-party author box plugin for now. You can try testing this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-author-box/

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.