Best way to build a site on test-server and move to live site as a theme

I am in the process of creating a new theme for a site and building it on another server to get the design right, test everything.

Is it better to use Pro and make a child theme, then install that child theme on the live site/activate it?

I’ve been searching the forums and not really finding a straight answer for this, or even customization, etc.

Hi,

Most of the settings and data are stored in the database so it won’t get carried over by just copying the child theme.

I suggest migrating the entire site as a whole.

For more information kindly refer to the link below.

https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/cornerstone-migration/126

Thanks

hmmm, what about this?

can you save cornerstone pages/templates, then install Pro on another domain, then simply import those pages/templates as needed?

I don’t want to mess with migrating a database because I don’t want to risk overwriting the content on the main site.

is there any other option?

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! Yes that can work too. Just simply export the page as a Cornerstone Template from your staging site and import it to your live site. The custom css/js may not be imported so please double check it right after you have imported the page template.

Please let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

wow – this is probably the game changer for me.

I’ll build the blog/main pages as I want them, then create the templates and export. thank you!

1 Like

You are welcome!