Automated Author and Date-Time stamp

Hi there, so I have a problem I’m going to ask some clarity on through a page screenshot.

In the red-outlined box are two headlines, one has the name and the other a date. The thing is, I don’t want them to be edited manually all the time. Is there a way to find out how to automate the timestamp onto the headline, and also the author of the page?

I understand that there’s an author element, but until the element is updated for Pro, I’d like to construct something of my own as well, because just how the author element looks relative to everything else just doesn’t match up. In a way, if I’m even a bit knowledgeable on the automation process I can make something of my own in the interim, alongside not having to worry about the byline.

PLS HALP.

Hi There,

Thanks for writing in! I’m not sure the current stack that you’re using. Basically you can combine the heading and date stamp into one line by editing your template file.

For example of you’re using Renew stack, you can copy the file _content-post-header.php into your child theme’s respective location and customize it accordingly and append date to the title.

Thanks!

I think I’m using Integrity or Ethos, can’t be sure which drowns.

Even so, I’m still quite confused on how that’s possible. Thing is, it’s just for these two elements for now that I want to focus on code to automate author and time-stamp. I’m quite wary of adding files to templates, mostly because I’m terrible at codes, and I’m trying to learn one step at a time. Is there no way I can focus on just these elements for now?

Hi There,

Regretfully this isn’t a feature offered by X and we are not allowed to provide any modification on any element. It could be possible with custom development, but this would be outside the scope of support we can offer. You may wish to consult a developer to assist you with this. X is quite extensible with child themes, so there are plenty of possibilities.

Thanks for understanding,

Yikes.

The thing is I’ve never understood how to use child themes / what their purpose is. I mean, I’ve been told and I’ve read up on it, but it still confuses me so much.

Hey Ankit,

I can understand the problem you are facing. Let me try to help you with Child theme. Let’s get started with the basics.

1. What is WordPress theme: A Theme is collection of files written in HTML, Php, Javascript, CSS that works together to present a graphical interface for a website. You can also call this a parent theme. You can learn more here. https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes
  2. What is child theme and why it’s important: Earlier, let’s say you wanted to change or add certain feature in your website. To do that you were required to make necessary changes in the theme files. Now the problem that website owners faced was that whenever Theme developer releases update and asuming website owner is using that theme and decides to update the theme, update process used to override all the existing theme files and with that you have lost all the changes and modifications. This was turning out to be a quite a task for website owners. Later on broader WordPress community came up with a solution called Child Theme. So what is a child theme? Simply a child theme inherits the features and functions of parent theme. And this solved the problem that website owners were facing. Because child theme inherits the function of parent theme, files under child theme won’t get overridden should you choose to update parent theme files. More information on child theme can be found here. https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-how-to-setup-child-themes/57, http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/wordpress-child-theme-pros-cons/.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Okay. How do I do this? Can someone explain this to me? pls?

Hi There,

For custom development requirements, you need to contact a developer or service. We can only point you to the right direction.

Could you please provide us with a URL to your sample page to see if we can assist you with a CSS or Javascript based workaround.

Thanks!

Hi there. This is a page where the Author Name and date are in two different sections. http://cinemaelite.com/reviews/every-day/

Hi there,

It’s not possible with CSS or Javascript since it should take your server time and not the browser time. Plus, it’s in between the breadcrumb and the content so you can’t use a filter. The only possible solution is removing the breadcrumbs and add it through the_content filter along with the date and title. Example is this,

add_filter('the_content', 'add_breadcrumbs_and_meta', -9999999);

function add_breadcrumbs_and_meta ( $content ) {

if ( is_page() ) {

$content.do_shortcode('[breadcrumbs] Title and Date');

}

return $content;

}

This is just an idea and not a complete solution, but you can forward it to a developer that can fully help you.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.