Appeal to the Developers

To the X developers,

You built an amazing product, but the recent updates are killing it. What was stable and rock solid is now buggy and overly complicated. My favorite thing about X was its power in simplicity. It empowered clients to make their own updates, and the blank slate it provided me when building a new site was invaluable.

After the big update, I immediately rolled back to stability release 1.1.1. The new site-wide Pro style builder is cumbersome and sometimes behaves unexpectedly. It works great for headers and footers, but as a site-wide builder it’s like that guy at a gathering who tells you his life story when all you asked was “How’s it going?” Too much info, and we can set all of that in our stylesheets anyway.

Can we still have a stripped-down version similar to the previous Cornerstone?

Cheers,

John
Brand & Brush

2 Likes

I agree 100%.

X was an amazing, drag and drop builder that allowed for simple layout control over stock WordPress. Pro was a good, worthwhile upgrade that allowed for a bit more fine detail control. X was great for regular users. Pro was great for advanced users.

With each successive update, they’ve become more like each other and that’s been a terrible thing. There’s so much bloat. If I had wanted access to so many options, I would have become a WP theme developer myself. I chose X and Pro so I didn’t have to. Now I have to, just to wade through the options presented in the sidebar. And that’s if the theme is working.

I worked for the better part of August building version 2.0 of our local medical center’s website. 70+ pages, headers, footers, and layouts all of them ready and in place for final content and editing for a launch later this year. All of my work has been rendered to classic elements. How long before the next update breaks them all and forces an upgrade and complete rebuild of the site using the new elements?

I’m also having lots of trouble just getting Pro to work - I can see my content, but if I drag a new element into a new section, it all disappears and I can’t preview anything. It’s incredibly frustrating. Load times are horrendous as well. I’ll say it again, what used to be a simple, swift, drag and drop builder has turned into a bloated “look at what I can do, mom” builder.

No thanks. I will be moving back to Themify themes. Now I see how nice it is to not have too many options. Of course, if X and Pro move back in the direction of 1.1.1, I’d give them another chance. Until then, I’ve got work to do with themes that actually work as advertised.

Edit: I do have to add that I just discovered issues with Cornerstone seem to be localized to Edge browser. Which is difficult because I have to use it for work. I will get with my IT department and see if I can’t get Chrome installed. In Edge, the drag and drop elements disappear, and they don’t load in the preview window. You can still edit in the side bar, you just can’t see what you are doing until you save and view the changes in a new window.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat here regarding the stability of Cornerstone. I love it and I recommend it to anyone who is looking at any page builder but due to all the bugs during the update, he switched to the new version of Divi.

The simplistic way it used to work was awesome and keeping basic and pro seperate is crucial i think like @psmcMarketing said.

I like the new elements that the updates have given but i’d sooner get rid of them for the 'ol faithful product that it was.

I’m a true fan of X but don’t fix what wasn’t broken :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a few X licenses spanning a few different accounts. X is one of the reasons why the web design part of my business DID NOT pick up. That changed instantaneously after I switched to different themes with header and footer builders, easier to use and with less conflicts with popular plugins. I have the same issues and bugs with X that I had 1-2 years ago. Support is responsive, but they do patchwork mostly that has issues itself whenever a new upgrade is published.

Dude, I’m not trying to dish out on you, but you had a huge budget and a supportive fanbase. What the heck happened. X stacks look more like 2012 than a modern theme. The only thing that might save you is Visual Composer, but you have to build stuff from scratch with that. And most themes out there also have Visual Composer.

@brandandbrush - If you do not want to use the V2 Elements in Cornerstone you simply have to go into your Cornerstone settings and turn them off. You will then be able to use Classic Elements just as before. This was built in so that customers had the option to use whichever Elements most suited them and their workflow.

If you elect to use Classic Elements, it will be business as usual. Classic Elements will continue to be supported, and they are not going away so you can feel free to use them.

1 Like

@techwhisperer - Feel free to turn off the V2 Elements if you do not prefer them in Cornerstone’s settings. Many customers have asked for this level of control in Cornerstone, so the compromise was to give customers the option. As outlined on the changelog, Classic Elements will continue to be supported so you have nothing to worry about there.

There were a couple maintenance releases right after the initial update, however if you or anyone else is running into any other issues, we would love to know in a separate thread so the team can take a look.

@kyle - Thanks for your reply!

I didn’t want this thread to turn into an X bash fest. This theme has been a huge boost for us in what we’re able to deliver to our clients, and they love it.

Turning off the V2 elements will still let us use inline styles on content elements during mockups, etc.?

I’ll download the new pro to my local environment and play more with it. Just wanted to say how much we love the original X + Cornerstone for how it doesn’t get in the way of our designing and is ultra-powerful when you need it.

Cheers,

John

@brandandbrush - You’re most welcome, and I’m really happy to hear that.

We certainly appreciate the fact that many people like the X/CS combo as they knew it, and it was very important to us that we keep that path as an option while still providing the people who wanted more native advanced options the mechanism to do that.

And yes to your question about turning off V2 Elements. V2 Elements don’t have inline styles because there are so many different HTML elements per element and an inline style can only be added to one, but all that to say you can absolutely have the same workflow as before by just turning off V2 Elements in settings if that is what you or your clients prefer.

Once you see how the Template Manager will work in Cornerstone and Pro it will really make things click. We understand the reality that until that is in, there is gap in the process, so we are quickly working towards bringing that to life. You can see a preview of what it will look like here.

Let’s see where your esteemed opinions go:

• search for ‘appeal’ as per the topic post - you’ll get 5 results, none of them match this topic

• scroll through the forum and manually search for this post. You will not find it

• I was only able to post here clicking links from my profile >> my topics

I have screenshots, but I will not go through the trouble of posting them, it’s not worth it. Censor away support team, I’m outta here.

P.S. I also took a screenshot of this post, feel free to delete it.

@miketica, I noticed the post was censored too, but didn’t mention it because @kyle was already responding. I was actually fine with it, I didn’t want the thread to be piled on with people hating on the new X (there are enough of those already). I just wanted to voice that X, the way it is now, isn’t usable with the workflow we’re used to, and it was heard. I’m good with that.

Hi Guys,

Thanks @brandandbrush for understading.

As the post was intended to our developers and we want to focus as much as possible on solving technical issues regarding Themeco Products on the forum we have made it invisible to the other users.

@miketica but sure we listen each one of our users as your opinion and experience is the best resource we have in order to improve our product. The text box on the newer versions of Pro Builder and CS is a good example. We have released the product and as soon as we realize few users were not satisfied with the choose approach we have re-designed it and released a new version in less than a week. Some changes might take longer, so might not take place as we do not agree always, but the fact is, your opinion is 100% valuable here, we have a list with all feature requested suggested by our clients which also serve us as a guide on how the product should evolve.

If you have any other suggestion or concern, please feel free to share it.

Thank you very much guys and have a great day.

1 Like

@kyle @joao,

LOVE the new updates. Thank you!!

• John & the team at Brand & Brush

Glad to hear it!

Cheers :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.