After update, Posts and Portfolio pages have tons of duplicates

Hi, I recently updated X Theme and Cornerstone on www.dentalspeakersbureau.com to latest versions. Everything seems normal except when you make a search, for example with the search icon in the menu, with a word like “Phone” or “Vanessa”. You’ll see that the search result index has tons of duplicates of one page. Same happens on the backend - if I search for a Portfolio listing, or blog post, I get a long list with that same one result. I wonder what’s going on? Thanks for helping. If you need to take a look I can provide access.

Hello Bhakti,

Thank you for the very details post. I can confirm to you that this is a bug in the recent release. Our developers were already made aware of the issue. It shall be fixed and updated in the next release cycle.

For the meantime, you can add this line in your child theme’s functions.php file to resolve the issue:

add_filter('cornerstone_enable_search', '__return_false');

Best Regards.

Great! Thank you. That fixed it.

You’re always welcome!

Cheers.

What if google sees it as duplicate content? We will be penalized because my pages are crawled by google. Any code to stop google to see my page as duplicate content in search?

Because my pages are indexed 1 of 148, 2 of 148 kind of…

Now google will index more and more…and that too duplicate contents

Hi Sansar,

There are certain steps you can take to make sure that Google is not indexing duplicate content. Please refer to Google help center resource here (https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en) and implement accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Hi I read whole article you referred

But my question is that what @Omwoods is talking about, will google also start seeing our website’s internal search results as duplicate contents? Like @Omwoods says — " in latest X theme update, search result index has tons of duplicates of one page"

Will google penalize us for that even after the code you gave us ---- i.e. add_filter(‘cornerstone_enable_search’, ‘__return_false’);

Hello @sansarlochan,

All google or search bots do not do a search in indexing your site. The issue will only happen if you search for a keyword. Adding the code will resolve the issue. Our developers has been made aware of the issue so that a fix will be added in the next release update.

Hope this explains it briefly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.