After moving WP subfolder to root Cornerstone not working

After I moved the WP subfolder to root directory Cornerstone is not working anymore.
Is there probably a license issue? I updated the license from bettinagrossenbacher.com/_2018 to bettinagrossenbacher.com. But it didn’t solve the problem. I read in the forum about deleting Cornerstone and reinstall it, but strangely Cornerstone also doesn’t appear on the X extensions list in the dashboard.
Site works fine after changing folder, just Cornerstone is not working anymore.
What can I do??

Hello @ehunziker,

Thanks for updating the thread. :slight_smile:

I checked the licence manager and over there I can see that you have updated the URL. Issue is not related with licence. Try to reinstall Cornerstone. You can reinstall Cornerstone by visiting the X menu. Doing so will automatically install Cornerstone for you. If automatic installation is not happening then you can use the link shared in secure note to download latest version of Cornerstone.

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

I reinstalled Cornerstone. But no change. It is weird that some pages are working and others not.

thanks a lot for your help…

any idea where the problem comes from?

Hi There @ehunziker

Simply changing the file paths could lead to break your Cornerstone pages. Please follow our migration guide here (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/cornerstone-content-builder-migration/126) and migrate your site properly to the root of the site.

Hope that helps.

I have already read this article, and I know now what the proper migration solution would be. But isn’t there another solution from where I am now? It is a standard answer you are giving here, but actually i am looking for a solution where I am now.
Everything works fine after folder change, just most of the pages aren’t editable anymore with cornerstone.
I mean it is really weird that some pages work and others not. That means actually it should work! But…

really just the standard answer to the topic? I am just afraid to now go all the steps back and move the folders again and restore all to the old version.

Hi @ehunziker,

Sorry for the delay, what is your login page? All of these did not work

/wp-login.php/
/wp-admin/
/16o12n-22o51w/
/rewind-1997/

It returns Server Error 500.

On the migration guide, we provided here, there is a part that says:

Under that also in the replace section, you should enter the path to where your new site is. For example /home/sites/yournewsite.com/public_html/, this should be the root of your new install, so if your site was in subdirectory it might be /home/sites/yournewsite.com/public_html/subdir/

Did you do that? If not, please do it.

Keep a backup of your database to play it safe.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

Probably you tried to login while I put the old side back online. the login should work now again.
I couldn’t restore the old installation. I also changed the URLs from yournewsite.com/subdir/ to yournewsite.com with «Better Search and Replace». Problem ist still the same. Unfortunately I have no backup of the database. Thought I would, but I don’t (shame on me!). Before I build the site from scratch again any tips would be more than welcome.

Thank you!

Hi there,

It seems that you were not able to do the search and replace correctly. I have just checked your site and there are still some URLs that are not correctly update from the old url to the new one.

So kindly do the better search and replace again and make sure that you have selected all the tables.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your answer.
May I ask which exact url path you entered in your search?

I was looking for bettinagrossenbacher.com/_2018/
changing to bettinagrossenbacher.com/

Hi there,

I searched http://bettinagrossenbacher.com/_2018 to be replaced by http://bettinagrossenbacher.com

Hope this helps.

strange, – it gives me zero results.
any fresh idea? or are you suggesting now to build the website new from scratch? the worst case scenario?

Hello @ehunziker,

Thanks for updating the thread.

I also tried to replace the old link with updated ones but I am also getting the same result. I further tried to find out the possible and it seems that the issue is coming from the child theme. I tried to activate parent theme and Cornerstone is now working fine. Please remove the changes you have made in child theme one at a time to narrow down after taking a backup.

Thanks.

thank you very much for having another try. the one you tested is one of the view ones which works (also works with child theme). but most of the others don’t. that is the weird thing since the beginning, that some work and others don’t anymore. that’s also why i think there must be a solution before I start from scratch again. wha some work and others don’t anymore?

Hello @ehunziker,

Thanks for updating the thread.

I checked couple of other page and can see that the content is not loading in Pro Content builder if you click on Edit with Pro button. However, it show shortcodes when clicked Edit button from front end.

It seems that while moving from subdomain to root domain, in that process Cornerstone data might have got corrupted.

Can you please share FTP details in secure note so we can take a bit more closer look? However, you might have to redensing the pages that are affected. Please share the FTP details, we would like to inspect the setup.

Thanks.

Thanks again. I will send the ftp login.

Hey @ehunziker,

The pages that are blank in Cornerstone lost their _cornerstone_data. That’s why search and replace returns 0 results. If you have a working complete (files and database) backup of your site, it’s best that you do a re-migration. Otherwise, you regretfully need to rebuild your pages.

I’m not sure why the Cornerstone Data was deleted so if you could give us the exact steps you took after you moved the WordPress install from the _2018 to your server’s root, that might point us to the exact cause and so we could warn others or provide a better way of handling things.

Thanks.

It is great that you found the error. Now I know I have to rebuild the site.
I migrated the site (the old way) by first changing the URL in WP, than moved the folder, and replaced the the old with the new URL path with a plugin. After that I also reinstalled Cornerstone (that was the first tip by your staff). Next time I know I have to move the database the correct way, and backup everything first!

Thank you for your time and help.

You’re most welcome!
We’re glad we were able to help you out.