Adding Link to Column Changing Column Spacing

Hello there,

I am currently trying to add a hyperlink to a whole column.

I am using JS to add: jQuery("#FC1").wrap("");
(FC1 = column ID)

By doing so it seem the padding around the column gets lost, and ultimately when I do it to all (five) columns in that row the columns are not centered anymore (and instead squashed together to the left of the page).

It is the row with the icons, below ‘Who We Are’. I have added it only to one of the columns to demonstrate what I mean with it being a bit squished.

I fear I am not well versed in JS (well not that well in CSS either) - what would be the best way to avoid this from happening and have columns remain centered?

Regards

Hey Noah,

Using that custom JS, you’re actually wrapping the entire column with extra markup thereby breaking the column layout. With that method, you will need to style your anchor wrapper which would need further custom development or HTML and CSS knowledge.

With this setup, I’d recommend that you use the Button element. There’s no coding required for this. Please see this quick setup demo.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, I will try that instead.

One more question, only minimally related to the one before.

When I try to add the button cornerstone freezes. (this does not happen only when adding the button, but has happened with other elements before) It makes editing a very very very tedious process and sometimes impossible. Quite often I have worked on an element for some time, then cornerstone freezes, I can’t save the work done and lose all progress I had made.
Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Or do I not have enough processing power on my computer?

Oh, and also is there any way to make the button circular?

Regards,
Noah

Hey Noah,

If you want the icon to be circular. You need to set its width and height to be the same. Then, setup a border and set the border radius to 100em.

You can do the same with the main button’s border radius to apply it to the main button.

For more details about the Button element, please see https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/elements-button/10210/1.

Regarding the Cornerstone performance, intermittent issues like that are mostly caused by hosting limitations. Here are other items you can check.

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

2. If you’re using a caching plugin, clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins. This is for troubleshooting only and you can enable them back once the cause of the issue is found.

3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

5. Remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates.

6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

7. Contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

If nothing helps, I’d recommend that you try out other hosting providers. Here’s a host selection guide from other X theme users.

Thanks.

Hey Christian,

Thank you - that is a very detailed description of how to go about changing the icon to what I desire.

On the hosting issue: I have tried all that you mentioned. It worked for one second, and then it went back to not saving any of my work and freezing constantly. My host is siteground - the guide does say that it should work (while it is not the best). Do you really think I will have to change my hosting provider to make this work? It would be a bit of a pity, as the contract with them continues until August.

Thank you again for your swift response and help.

Noah

Edit: I usually use Firefox, and I had tried Safari to see if it was a browser issue. I just tried Chrome as well - and hey it looks like it is working with Chrome. It is still quite slow, but looks promising. Maybe add that to the list of possible things to try if someone else encounters this issue also.

Hi there,

Yea, I personally recommend chrome than other browsers. Still, it’s related to host performance as it takes time to respond from builder requests. I didn’t have any issue with my live site.

You can find some host that will allow you a month of contract just for testing :slight_smile:

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.