Adding Last Updated Date to posts in Theme X?

I have been trying to use the following (http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/display-the-last-updated-date-of-your-posts-in-wordpress/) to add an Updated Date along with the published date to my posts.

I have the correct code added using Code Snippets plugin BUT I can not get the Post Updated Date to show. It only shows the post updated on the index page for some reason but not on any post pages.

Is their another way to do this in X Theme or can you advise what I am doing wrong?

The following method seems like the best solution but not sure where to make this change in X Theme files?

Find the line of code where your theme outputs the publish date and replace it with this:

<?php $u_time = get_the_time('U'); $u_modified_time = get_the_modified_time('U'); if ($u_modified_time >= $u_time + 86400) { echo "Last updated on "; the_modified_time('F jS, Y'); echo ", "; } else {echo "Posted on "; the_time('F jS, Y');} ?>

This code will show:

Posted on…[date] for posts that haven’t been updated
Last updated on…[date] for posts that you have updated

Thanks

Hi Carl,

The date which is printed in the blog listing of our theme is located in: (Assuming you are using the renew stack):

wp-content/themes/x/framework/functions/renew.php

The file above is part of the theme functions so you can easily copy the function code to your child theme and add the additional extra stuff.

Please install a Child Theme and add the function below to functions.php file:

if ( ! function_exists( 'x_renew_entry_meta' ) ) :
  function x_renew_entry_meta() {

//
    // Author.
    //

$author = sprintf( '<span>%s</span>',
      get_the_author()
    );

//
    // Date.
    //

$date = sprintf( '<span><time class="entry-date" datetime="%1$s">%2$s</time></span>',
      esc_attr( get_the_date( 'c' ) ),
      esc_html( get_the_date() )
    );

//
    // Categories.
    //

if ( get_post_type() == 'x-portfolio' ) {
      if ( has_term( '', 'portfolio-category', NULL ) ) {
        $categories        = get_the_terms( get_the_ID(), 'portfolio-category' );
        $separator         = ', ';
        $categories_output = '';
        foreach ( $categories as $category ) {
          $categories_output .= '<a href="'
                              . get_term_link( $category->slug, 'portfolio-category' )
                              . '" title="'
                              . esc_attr( sprintf( __( "View all posts in: &ldquo;%s&rdquo;", '__x__' ), $category->name ) )
                              . '"> '
                              . $category->name
                              . '</a>'
                              . $separator;
        }

$categories_list = sprintf( '<span>%s</span>',
          trim( $categories_output, $separator )
        );
      } else {
        $categories_list = '';
      }
    } else {
      $categories        = get_the_category();
      $separator         = ', ';
      $categories_output = '';
      foreach ( $categories as $category ) {
        $categories_output .= '<a href="'
                            . get_category_link( $category->term_id )
                            . '" title="'
                            . esc_attr( sprintf( __( "View all posts in: &ldquo;%s&rdquo;", '__x__' ), $category->name ) )
                            . '">'
                            . $category->name
                            . '</a>'
                            . $separator;
      }

$categories_list = sprintf( '<span>%s</span>',
        trim( $categories_output, $separator )
      );
    }

//
    // Comments link.
    //

if ( comments_open() ) {

$title  = apply_filters( 'x_entry_meta_comments_title', get_the_title() );
      $link   = apply_filters( 'x_entry_meta_comments_link', get_comments_link() );
      $number = apply_filters( 'x_entry_meta_comments_number', get_comments_number() );

$text = ( 0 == $number ) ? __( 'Leave a Comment', '__x__' ) : sprintf( _n( '%s Comment', '%s Comments', $number, '__x__' ), $number );

$comments = sprintf( '<span><a href="%1$s" title="%2$s" class="meta-comments">%3$s</a></span>',
        esc_url( $link ),
        esc_attr( sprintf( __( 'Leave a comment on: &ldquo;%s&rdquo;', '__x__' ), $title ) ),
        $text
      );

} else {

$comments = '';

}

//
    // Output.
    //

if ( x_does_not_need_entry_meta() ) {
      return;
    } else {
      printf( '<p class="p-meta">%1$s%2$s%3$s%4$s</p>',
        $author,
        $date,
        $categories_list,
        $comments
      );
    }

}
endif;

In the // Date section of the code, you will see the date which theme is outputting. You can add your customization there and change the date.

Please consider that this is a customization request and we will not be able to implement the customization for you as this is outside of our support scope. We gave you the correct place to change and the rest is on your shoulders.

Thank you for your understanding.

I already use a child theme. So I just copy your code above into my child theme and edit as needed? I do not need t touch the code in the parent Pro theme using this method?

Just to clarify.

thanks

Hi Carl,

Yes, exactly, you will not need to change the parent theme. Just change that in the functions.php file of the Child Theme and there you go.

Thank you.

Worked perfect. Thank you!