A conflict on the front end of your site has prevented the preview from loading. - Error

Hello,

When I try to edit a page in cornerstone this pops up: “A conflict on the front end of your site has prevented the preview from loading.”

And the page will not load. I/m going to give you my username/pass/url in another response. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey there,

Cornerstone loads fine on my end. Please clear your browser cache then check again.

Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply, the home page seems to work but not any of the other pages. I have cleared my cache and tried in three different browsers. Can you take a look at editing this page in Cornerstone: http://ispotsanta.com/activities

Thanks!

Hi there,

Thank you for your response, I checked the case and it seems that for some reason the page can not load the iFrame:

Have you added any kind of custom code there? I added a test page and it is working ok:

http://ispotsanta.com/test-page/

My guess is that there is a custom code which is problematic. Kindly think of a code which you used exactly in the pages which you encounter the problem.

I’m afraid you need to remove the codes from the database for those pages or you will need to recreate the pages.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I have not added any new code. I also deleted this page and recreated the page with no content on there:

I still can’t edit this page after recreating it and I didn’t add any code so I don’t know what to do from here. It’s also weird that the homepage works properly but no other original pages.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Hi,

It’s your custom permalinks plugin that is causing the issue.

Try deactivating the plugin and all pages will work.

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks that did it! I’ve had that plugin in use for a few years now and never had an issue until now. Thanks for helping me find the issue. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome.

Hi Paul,

I actually need that plugin to still be installed. It renames my URL’s to:

Compared to:

http://ispotsanta.com/x-portfolio/machupicchu-peru

When the plugin is removed all my portfolio items go back to /x-portfolio/

Any suggestions on how to fix the URL without the plugin or be able to use cornerstone with the plugin installed?

Thanks!

Hi There,

Instead of using this plugin, please hover X on your WP top admin bar > Launch > Options > Portfolio > Custom Slug

Add the slug you wish.

Hope it helps!

Hello,

That worked for one slug but I have numerous slugs:

santa-sighting

comedy-sketch

Is there a way to do more than one?

Thank you in advance!

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! Regretfully the custom portfolio slug can only be used for one. You cannot change it or use two different in different portfolio. It can only be done with custom development. Regretfully custom development is beyond the scope of our support.

Thank you for your understanding.

There is a work-around for this issue. When you need to edit a page with a permalink:

1. delete the permalink in Wordpress and update the page
  2. edit in cornerstone and save the page (in cornerstone)
  3. then add the permalink back in Wordpress and update again

It’s a pain, to be sure, but it does the trick. That said, this is a pretty big deal for a lot of users. Being able to set custom permalinks (slugs) on a page by page basis is widely taken for granted. I’d be very interested to know when a fix is in place.

Thanks!

Thanks for your feedback. This isn’t a bug though so there is nothing to fix. Cornerstone will work if you’re using proper WordPress permalink structure and not using a plugin that redirects a page to a new link.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, @christian_y. I agree that this is not a bug. Instead of asking for a “fix”, I should have asked if there are plans to address this general issue. The issue is not a bug, but a usability challenge. Standard Wordpress permalink structure settings are quite limited and do not allow for page-specific control of permalinks. There are a lot of legitimate reasons for wanting this level of control, which is why the use of plugins like Custom Permalinks is widespread.

If the issue is that Custom Permalinks violates standard Wordpress practice in a way that doesn’t allow x-theme to accommodate more customized permalinks, then I will take the issue up with Wordpress directly.

Hi there,

I worked on permalinks too before on my past projects, and it’s bit tricky and complex. What you doing here is just changing the look of your URL, but you’re not passing the correct data back to the page where the identity is still the original slug. There is no universal solution on this, it’s always goes down to custom coding depending on the usage or requirement.

Example,

This /x-portfolio/machupicchu-peru/ can be masked as /slug-parent-1/machupicchu-peru/ and it will work just as is (when viewing the page in front). But with the internal data, you need a custom rewrite to tell the system that /slug-parent-1/ represents /x-portfolio/ too, then pass any data through query_var. Depending on your local system (theme/plugin), you’ll retrieve the values from query_var and use it depending on the feature you’re working on.

Hence, there could be many different plugins, themes, features, multiple permalinks, unlimited slug nesting and so on, there is no permanent solution. It all depends on what you need to implement.

Masking is different from the actual existence of the URL’s identity where data is assigned and registered.

Even if we’re able to fix and implement this (our own custom multiple portfolio permalink), and user still uses that custom permalink plugin that’s only doing the masking, it will still not work.

Thanks!