February 11, 2015 at 9:42 am #204064
Sorry if this has been answered previously but just couldn’t find it using the search.
Ok, I’ve updated my version of X from 3 to 3.2.1 today and since I have had to disable w3 cache and therefore my ability to use my CDN. Do we know the fix? Object, browser, database etc I don’t run minify and my CDN is AWS cloudfront
I’ve cleared all cache before deactivating with no joy. The only fix I’ve found is to have it deactivated.
Site is AllThingsFPL.com
Thanks in advance
TommyFebruary 12, 2015 at 12:03 am #204654
Thanks for writing in! At this time I am not entirely certain what do you mean by fix. If I’m not mistaken you, can not use your CDN because you disable the w3 cache? You can enable it back, you do only clear or deactivate the caching plugin to purge the old cache and create a new cache of the updated site. Please provide us with a little more clarification.
Cheers!February 12, 2015 at 3:00 am #204767
Sorry, reading back I wasn’t clear at all.
If I enable w3 cache I get formatting issues in the theme. The footer appears to load before the content, visual composer built pages don’t listen to containers etc.
What’s changed between software levels to create the issues with w3 cache and thus my CDN?
TommyFebruary 12, 2015 at 5:02 am #204862
I’m downgrading back to version three as users are experiencing a slow site with a comments system error.
TommyFebruary 12, 2015 at 7:27 am #204940
That’s everything back down to software versions that are known to work.
X Theme 3.0.0
Rev slider 4.6.0
Visual composer 4.1.3
W3 Cache 0.9.4.1
While I understand you can’t except issues with third party plugins, the fact that an upgrade to the X platform creates my layout issues rather than an update to the plugin itself surely means that whatever changes/amendments you have made has created the problems and considering the amount of tickets you have with similar queries – cache – along with the fact that w3 cache is a major plugin used by many, are you going to look at this and fix?
If not I’m now stuck on these software levels including the wordpress platform
TommyFebruary 12, 2015 at 3:59 pm #205329
If you were using static file caching with W3TC, it’s possible that your server was still serving old files after the update. This has even been known to happen AFTER W3TC is disabled because it writes directly to your apache configuration.
I would advise completely removing W3TC, then proceeding to update. Once the site looks ok after being updated, you can re-enable W3TC again.
True, W3TC is a major plugin used by many, but there isn’t anything we can do to address these kind of issues that we’re not already doing. All of them are a result of either misconfiguration, or that caches don’t get fully cleaned. This also leads to false positives in support. The speed increase W3TC offers comes from circumventing a huge portion of the WordPress load – this gives themes and plugins no control in the interim. That’s usually good, because it reduces the code that runs, but it leaves everything up to W3TC.
Finally, some server configuration (particularly shared hosting) have issues with some of W3TCs more advanced features when they are enabled, which can result in cache files remaining.
It also sends caching headers to the browser, which can lead to numerous false positives when you check your site on the front end.
W3TC is best used when development is complete. It should also be fully purged and cleaned after each update.February 13, 2015 at 6:04 am #205812
Thanks for the advice X, I’ll give this method of update a go when I can find time.
Cheers for your help 😀
TommyFebruary 13, 2015 at 11:43 pm #206373
Let us know how it goes, Cheers!February 14, 2015 at 1:59 am #206403
Hi Tommy…I’ll chime in since I ran into a similar issue on one of my sites with the W3 Total Cache Plugin. There’s one setting that seemed to cause the problems.
With W3 Total Cache activated look Under Performance > General Settings > Minify and see if Minify is enabled. If it is try unchecking it. Also toggle “Manual” in Minify mode in the same section. Then save all settings, purge all caches and see if that takes care of it.
For some reason there seems to be a conflict with that particular setting, X and the AWS CDN.
Here’s a screenshot…hope that helps!February 15, 2015 at 6:24 am #206945
Thanks for sharing and helping Rich.February 15, 2015 at 6:32 am #206946
Thanks for sharing, Rich.
This content is old and no longer supported. You may use at your own risk, but no official support will be provided for anything listed here. If you are a Themeco customer, we invite you to check out our new community and forums, Apex.