Navigation
This is archived content. Visit our new forum.
  • Author

Friech

Hi @johannesekblad

You need to contact your hosting and restore the site database (not just the files) from earlier date to where the pages are still editable in Cornerstone. Else I’m afraid you need to rebuild the pages in Cornerstone.

@envato_2015 Thank you for chiming in.

envato_2015
    Participant

@friech Your answer doesn’t hold true as my service provider restored Cornerstone editability where I left off without the need for a database backup/restore.

@johannesekblad When restoring your whole database from a backup, you’ll lose any progress made since the creation of the backup (like comments, posts, design changes and literally everything done in the wordpress backend) which usually is not what you want.

Joao

Thanks for your input.

@envato_2015.

Restoring the database is a good strategy depending on the website, I understand your point of view, and if you have a solution that would be better than that feel free to openly share with us, at the moment I stand with my colleague @friech regarding this matter. If you would be kind to share with us the solution us that would be great.

Best Regards,

Joao

iamwithU
    Participant

I am having the same problem! I created my Home Page with Cornerstone, have always edited using Cornerstone. All i did was go to a previous revision 50 minutes ago, and now I’m out of Cornerstone!!

Like the other X users, I’m asking why was there no prior warning? Could someone please guide me as to how to restore the backup?

In my WP Dashboard, under Tools, I have backups under BackupWordpress. I downloaded but my Mac can’t open the .sql file. How do I transfer to my site and then “import the database”?

Rad

Hi there,

WP Revision is not completely synced to cornerstone revision, it was working and maybe the recent WordPress versions breaks it and we’re still looking into it.

Would you mind providing your backup files in private reply? You could upload it in dropbox and provide its link here. I’ll check if I could extract the SQL file.

Thanks!

iamwithU
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Rad

Hi there,

Your provided files are already in SQL format, hence, I don’t need to extract it. You may forward your SQL files to your hosting provider and request for restoration, or you may restore it through PhpMyAdmin.

Thanks!

iamwithU
    Participant

Hi Rad,
    I would like to learn how to restore it myself – so I can be independent in future. Can give me some baby steps? I use a Mac. Will it be easier if you send this to my email address or point me to a resource?

Is it possible to restore only the Home page? Also, what will happen to all the changes I made since my Home page got out of Cornerstone?

Rad

Hi there,

It will be tricky since home page and its data aren’t stored on a single entry. It’s connected with IDs and other data from other tables. I tried to retrieve it but my editor just hangs up, the database content is too long. It’s best to restore the whole database as is to prevent data loss.

About database restoration, you can check this https://support.managed.com/kb/a2034/how-to-backup-and-or-restore-your-mysql-database-using-phpmyadmin.aspx

It’s all the same in every hosting unless they aren’t running on CPanel/PHPMyadmin

Thanks!

iamwithU
    Participant

I went to the link, but it only teaches us how to restore a backup that is already within the CPanel. I suppose I have to learn first how to import into the correct place…

To be on the safe side, I may have to carry on with my Home page as it is. Other than making it difficult to edit, any implications if I just leave my Home page be outside of Cornerstone?

Most importantly, any advice what is the best way to back up what I’ve done to my website?

Rad

Hi there,

It should still work outside the cornerstone. The generated content is from cornerstone, what’s just corrupted is the data. Though, you can re-compose it to another dummy page when you have time and export and import it. I think it’s much easier and safer than editing and database.

You can use BlogVault service to backup your site, or use All in one migration plugin to download the entire copy of your site (manual backup). I recommend manual backup since automatic backup slows down a site and could cause many issues.

Thanks.

iamwithU
    Participant

I see. I didn’t know that auto backup slows down my site. So shall I delete these plugins :

All In One WP Security,
    BackUpWordPress,
    WP Database Backup,

What is a “All in one migration plugin”? Or I can do manual back-up using my CPanel?

Also, you said: “I think it’s much easier and safer than editing and database.” You mean it’s safer to create a dummy page, edit in WP text editor and then import back into my Home page?

I’m learning much.

Rad

Hi there,

All in one migration plugin is a migration plugin, but you can use to export your entire site as a backup file. That you can later import using the same plugin.

You may use CPanel backup, though I’m not sure if you can fully restore it.

Important:
    You cannot use a full backup file to restore your site through the cPanel interface.
    You must download and compress the backup file prior to restoration.
    After you decompress the backup file, you can upload and restore individual portions of your website that the full backup file contained.

No, create a dummy page, re-create your content in cornerstone then export it as a template, then import it to your home page.

Thanks!

iamwithU
    Participant

Thanks Rad, for the valuable tips. I’ll go get the All In One Migration plugin right away!

Meanwhile, ThemeCo may wish to caution your customers not to do what I did – going back to a revision in WordPress even if it’s edited with Cornerstone.

Rad

You’re welcome!