Contact Form 7 5.1 & 5.1.1

Hi,

I use Contact Form 7 on my website to handle my emails, it has all been working great. Recently it has updated to a new version (v5.1) to handle the new invisable Google reCAPTCHA v3. Everything appears to be working just fine and now users don’t have to click the “I am not a robot” button. I had noticed that I was starting to get a bit of spam getting through and noticed that a new version they had released to address this problem (v5.1.1).

On installing that update the form stopped sending messages, so I rolled back to the previous version and everything appears to be back working again (be it with some spam coming through).

Looking on the contact form website I see this message;

The orange border indicates that a spammy attempt has been detected by a spam protection module like reCAPTCHA. Seeing the orange border every time is obviously abnormal unless you are a real spambot.

If you get into such situations after upgrading to 5.1.1, you are advised to ensure that the theme you use properly loads JavaScript in the footer area of each page.

We know some theme authors improperly omit wp_footer() call to block scripts from loading. That is one of the worst practices in theme development that will surely causes problems like those explained above. Ask the theme author for a fix if you find your theme has such issues.

Is this the problem? It would be good to get this latest version working so I don’t need to get my mailbox flooded with spam.

Hi,

We can assure you that our theme doesn’t omit wp_footer. You can verify that by checking _footer.php in x\framework\legacy\cranium\footers\views\global

Please note that the latest supported version of Contact Form 7 is Version: 5.0.4
So please don’t update that plugin until we have tested it and have updated our version compatibility page.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I can tell you that v5.1 is working fine, but with some spam getting through. I will wait for a while before trying 5.1.1 again.

Regards,

Pix.

Hi Pix,

Even though we’re officially tested and support Contact Form 7 (v5.0.4), I have tested the latest version (v5.1.1) on the latest WordPress (v5.0.1), X theme (v6.4.2), Cornerstone (v3.4.2) and I did not experience any mail delivering issue.

If you’re using a caching plugin, I would suggest you to purge your server cache and disable your caching plugin temporarily. Also if you’re using a child theme, disable it temporarily and test this issue further. Further, you can deactivate some of your plugins as well and test your issue.

You can also try configuring a SMTP plugin and see if that helps (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/) to deliver your email notifications correctly.

Thanks!

Maybe this work-around might work for you too…

I had the same problems, and ended up installing “Check Mail” plugin. Now Contact Form 7 works… very weird, I still don’t know the main cause behind it.

Hi Amanda,

Upon researching it further, this issue seems to be related to Contact Form 7 rather than theme. Can you also please check the workarounds mentioned on this link (https://wordpress.org/support/topic/3-spam-fixes-contact-form-7-v5-1/) and see if that helps.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.